Today was Josh's missionary homecoming! I was SO glad that he didn't have to report to the high council at 7:00 am the morning of his homecoming like Jaiden did. I guess it depends on which Sunday the high council meets. Yesterday was busy shopping, preparing food, and and cleaning the house. I was hoping to start cooking the pork roasts in the crock pot Saturday morning, but it was afternoon by the time we made it out to Walmart to buy them. I had two different crock pots and started them cooking shortly before 2:00 pm on low. I thought the roasts would be finished and ready to shred by 10:00 p.m. but they weren't. I stayed up until midnight but they still were not tender. So I finally went to bed.
At 3:00 am I woke up and thought I had better check on them. By this time they were very tender and falling off the bone. So I stayed up and separated the roasts from the bone and shredded the meat. It took an hour and a half and so it was past 4:30 am before I made it back to bed. Next time I make pork roasts in the crock pot I will have to time it better! Thankfully we didn't have church until 10:30 and so I was able to sleep in until 8:30.
Jared was the DJ at his school's dance last night up north and so they headed to St. George early this morning and arrived just before church. Everyone headed to church and were even able to get a family picture outside of the church building before the meeting started. This was the first time everyone in our family was together in three years! Jaiden had left on her mission in August of 2023 and then Josh left on his mission August of 2024. It was a wonderful meeting. The meeting was also Ethan's (Jenna's boyfriend) missionary farewell and so that was fun to have he and Josh speak together. Ethan did a great job on his talk and so did Josh.
Jenna sang "Nearer to Thee," with Ethan's mom, Paige Allred, and Ethan's brother, Josh Allred, played the cello. Rebecca Gulbranson accompanied on the piano. It was a beautiful number! Jenna and Paige blended well together and also looked very beautiful! We were grateful for a spirit filled meeting! We had lunch at our house after. I didn't invite ward members, except for our good friends, the Williams. We also invited the Larsons (Steve Larson went to Korea on his mission. He is the one that spoke with Josh at his farewell two years ago).
We invited the ASL sister missionaries and then the kids invited several of their friends. So we ended up with a good amount of people. We had pulled pork sandwiches, several salads (potato salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, pasta salad) and a veggie tray, lots of fruit (watermelon, strawberries, grapes, apples and dip), chips, and dessert. Ellen ordered a cute cake that followed up with our welcome home chant "Josh, it's time, cross the line!" We all got a kick out of that! I made peanut butter bars and we bought cookies. It was fun to eat and visit!
Later on the bishop and his wife dropped by to bring Josh his missionary plaque. After they left Jared led all of the young adult children in some games on Jackbox. After everyone left we finally got naps! Then later that night it was just Rick and me and Josh and Jenna. Rick taught a nice Come Follow Me lesson and then later gave Josh and Jenna back to school Priesthood blessings. It was a nice day!














No comments:
Post a Comment