Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jack -- The Toad

Meet Jack -- the toad. A long time ago -- gosh, it has to be a couple of years at least -- I was in the basement and saw this toad in our window well. The kids all got a big kick out of him and after playing with him for awhile they put him back in the window well and forgot all about him. Skip ahead to a couple of weeks ago when Jase looked into the window well and saw the toad! I was thinking, "has he really been in there all that time?" I suppose he could -- our window wells are very deep and I don't see how he could have possibly gotten out. There would most likely be enough bugs to keep him fed and water from the sprinklers...unless it was another toad that came to the same fate but that seems unlikely.

At any rate, the kids rejoiced in finding him. Jared named him "Jack" and the kids have had fun playing with him everyday. They all held him and let him swim around in the kiddie pool -- always putting him back into the window well afterwards for safe keeping. After a week of this Janika apparently convinced Jared to let him go free. I didn't know what had happened until Janelle, Jaiden, and Josh came in crying. "Jack -- he's gone...and we love him!" Josh was throwing his arms into the air saying, "We love him -- we love him!" I told the kids to go find him so that we could take some pictures of their beloved Jack and then they could let him go in the yard. Maybe he would stick around and they could play with him again.

So here he is. So far we haven't seen him again but maybe he will show up again -- in a couple of years!

No comments: