Friday, July 11, 2008

Swimming Lessons

Well the kids all successfully completed their two week session of swimming lessons.

When I announced that I had enrolled everyone in swimming lessons, the little girls were really excited. It was their first time and they couldn't wait. I put them both in the same class and they did great!

Jared was somewhat indifferent about lessons but Janika and Jase threw a fit insisting that they already knew how to swim.

I finally told them that if they passed this class (level 5) that I would call it good and not enroll them again next year (although I would prefer if they took the final class -- level 6). They agreed.

The first day Janika and Jase came out huffing and puffing saying, "That was sooooo hard!" The second day they were excited to find out that their swim teacher was one of Rick's seminary students (and she told them that Brother Jensen was her very favorite teacher). After that Jani and Jase felt like they got special treatment -- lots of attention and compliments -- and they loved it (the attention, not the swimming!)

They worked hard and did indeed pass the class. They are very much relieved. Jared's class was probably too easy for him but I wanted all of the kids to have lessons at the same time and they didn't offer level four this hour. The girls had a great time in their class learning how to do "ice-cream scoops" (front crawl) and chop chop timber (on timber they would jump into the pool). They also got to go down the froggie slide each day.

So for my own benefit (since I won't remember what classes they need to be in next year) I will post it here so that I can refer to it up during next year's sign ups -- Jared will be in level 4; Janelle will be in level 2 advanced, and Jaiden in level 2 beginning (she did great but was the shortest one in her class and not yet very confident about submerging her head in the water). I guess I have to keep my promise so Janika and Jase are off the hook unless I can bribe them to give it another go....

No comments: