Thursday, August 20, 2009

Princess Jack Sparrow?


We still had a bunch of princess pull-ups left after Jaiden was potty trained a couple of years ago and so we saved them for our next baby -- which of course was a boy. Josh didn't seem to mind. In fact he seemed pretty excited about them.

Right now he is mostly running around in big boy dinosaur underwear. I purposely keep his shorts off so that I remember to put him on the potty. A few days ago I thought, "maybe he is potty trained!" We had the big "potty party" for him which got him off to a good start. Then a couple of days later, after more efforts on our part, he finally told me when he needed to go -- and then actually went -- three times in a row (which was a major breakthrough).

But now he has regressed! Today he threw a huge tantrum, kicking and screaming, "I don't wanna go on the potty!" when I tried to put him there. Sigh! He is almost 3 1/2. I kept putting it off but now that I have started I really don't want to give up and put him back in diapers. Especially with pre-school starting in one week! I am starting to get discouraged!

Tonight I told him and his sisters a bed-time story. It was about a little bunny who was learning to use the potty. I explained how he was trying really hard but how he accidentally went all over the floor and was left standing in a big puddle. (Taken from today's earlier events). Then I said, "...and the bunny was really sad." Then Josh said, "I wasn't sad!" Hmmph! Well, the bunny's mommy was! Of course I ended the story on a happy note -- he learned to use the potty and everyone was happy.

Let's hope that story comes true soon! Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue!!!!

1 comment:

Karla said...

Keep smiling Wendy! At least he's cute in those princess pull ups. I had a couple of kids who seemed to take forever to potty train too.