Monday, October 19, 2009

Fire Burning on the Dance Floor

Having a teenage daughter exposes our younger children to music and ideas they wouldn't otherwise be exposed to.   We were having family home evening and it was Jaiden's turn to choose the song.  Rick asked Jaiden, "What song would you like to sing?"  She blurted out, "I know...(then she started belting....)  Somebody call 911, shawty fire burnin' on the dance floor -- whoa!!!" 

Everyone joined in between chuckles. It reminded me of when Janika was around six or so and I brought her over to play with one of her friends, Hailey, who was the youngest of six girls.  Her mom told me later that the girls had wanted to listen to some music and sing.  Hailey asked Janika what songs she knew and she said, "How about, 'I am a child of God?'"  Hailey, on the other hand, started belting out songs from Brittney Spears.

So there you go.  Now Janika is the one keeping her little sisters "in the know" when it comes to current pop music.  But of course "I am a child of God" will always be a family favorite!!  

No comments: