Sunday, October 18, 2009

Flu

Well last week everyone in our family got the flu.  Janelle had gotten this mask from the doctor and insisted on wearing it.  It told her there was no use wearing it -- all of us already had what she had and so it wouldn't make any difference anyway. But apparently she thought it was pretty cool.  I took it off her after she fell asleep on the couch with it on.   


Rick started it all.  He got sick Thursday night (the 8th) and tried going to work the next day but ended up coming home.  He missed our Deaf Branch Fall Dinner that night and the kids and I went without him.  Saturday Jase went on a Scout activity at a nearby lake.  He learned boating safety and skills including how to drive a boat and had a great time.  Later on that evening he started to get sick with whatever Rick had and by Sunday half of the family was sick.  I went to church with three of the kids and Rick and the rest of the kids stayed home.

Janika, Jase, Janelle, and Jaiden missed school Monday and Tuesday.  I also woke up feeling sick on Monday.   It was difficult because Rick went back to work that day and now I was sick but still had to take care of all of our sick kids.  But at least I didn't have to get anyone ready for school and or do much.  Jared got himself off to school and I slept during both of Jenna's naps. I was feeling so miserable by Monday night that I asked if Rick could stay home on Tuesday and take care of the kids.  He said he could make arrangements to stay the morning during his prep hours.  He and Jared went to the library for movies and to the store for medicine, juice, and one of those digital thermometers that you swipe across the forehead.  He fixed dinner, put mentholatum and socks on everyone's necks, and went around taking everyone's temperature.



Everyone had the traditional flu symptoms -- fever, body aches, chills, dizziness...  Janika's was a little different since she had laryngitis and congestion along with a low grade fever.  Most of the kids' illnesses turned into congestion and cough a few days later.  Rick took care of the kids during the night, keeping a close watch on Josh since his fever had gone clear up to 106 degrees.  Tuesday morning he made a big pot of home-made soup and took care of the kids and clean up.  I was very grateful!  He was going to take my class that night but then I decided I felt well enough I could manage it.  We were only doing the midterm anyway.     


Wednesday Jared felt sick and stayed home and everyone else went back to school.  But I guess it was a little pre-mature for Jaiden and Janelle since they ended up with a bad cough later that night and were back home on Thursday.  Jared never did get it very bad and seemed fine later in the day.  Wednesday was also Janelle's 7th birthday.  She wanted to go to school in her new school clothes with her Mystery Box (she brought this miniature real shark that we have in a bottle) and wanted to get her birthday prize and sticker.  Rick and I had a commitment Wednesday night and so Janika had to take care of the sickies.  I told Janelle we would postpone her friend party until next week when everyone was better.

Janika and I had tickets to go see "Aida" at Tuacahn Thursday night and although we were both still a little under the weather, we felt well enough to go and enjoyed it.  Friday the kids were out of school for Fall Break. The day was spent pruning (for the boys) and cleaning (although we didn't get very far).  I managed to sneak out and get my hair done.  I had allergy symptoms for the past couple of days (constant sneezing and post-nasal drip).  All of the kids tease me about my sneezes because they are so loud -- grandpa sneezes!  I haven't learned the art of the cute little feminine sneeze yet and probably never will.  But Saturday I felt great  100 percent better!  I didn't sneeze once!  Everyone is pretty much better now.  Josh still has a touch of laryngitis and he sounds so funny and cute.  The little kids are still coughing bad at night but other than that everyone is doing a-okay.   Whew!


Right now there is so much hype in the media about the H1N1.  When I brought Jenna in for her 12 month appointment a week before we all got sick, our Pediatrician said that 99 percent of the people who had come in with flu symptoms had H1N1.   So most likely that is what we all had. But whether we did or not, it is all just the flu -- I don't know why everyone is making such a huge fuss differentiating it from the "regular" seasonal flu.   I guess there are those few who have scary complications but that is a possibility with any sickness.  Hopefully now that we have all gotten it we will be immune for the rest of the year (at least from this strain -- right?)  The upside to all of the kids being sick -- look how much they sleep -- WOW!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Ah man, being sick is the pits. Briggs had swine flu back in May. No FUN!! I feel your pain. I'm glad your all feeling better