Monday, February 20, 2012

Presidential Penny Portrait

My little brother, Shane, made this masterpiece all out of pennies.  I think it is absolutely amazing.  You need to look at it from far away to truly get the full effect.  Here are some random facts about the picture from Shane:
  • Made from 1,638 pennies (1,612 whole pennies and 52 half pennies).
  • Each row has 31 and 1 half pennies.
  • There are 52 rows.
  • The pennies are staggered (so the second row is offset from the first row so each row “fits” into the neighboring row), resulting in the need to have a half penny on each row.
  • There is at least one penny from each year from 1909 to 2009.
  • There is one 1943 steel penny (lower right-hand corner).
  • The US mint is making 2009 pennies with new designs on the reverse – there are 4 different designs: Birth and Early Childhood in Kentucky (aka “Log Cabin”), Formative Years in Indiana (aka “Rail Splitter”), Professional Life in Illinois, and Presidency in Washington, DC. I wanted to use at least one penny with each reverse design (although all the pennies in the picture only show the front); but only the first two were available when assembling the picture, so I’ll swap out two pennies for the other 2009 designs later.
  • I tried to find enough dark pennies, but ended up coloring some pennies (using different methods) to have enough dark and mid tones.
  • The pennies are fastened to a piece of pressed wood (masonite).
  • The pennies were fastened primarily using contact cement; although I did experiment with gorilla glue and liquid nails as well.
  • The picture is fairly heavy, and so I will craft a special mechanism to hang it (once I get it framed).
Pretty cool, huh? 

3 comments:

Em said...

Wow! That's amazing!

Unknown said...

WOW!! Shane is so gifted with art! He is the one who painted you temple too, right?

Wendy said...

Yes, he is the one that painted the picture of the Jordan River Temple where we were married!