I help out in Josh's classroom on Fridays. It is fun to see how he is doing in kindergarten and gives me a chance to get to know the other kids in his class. This afternoon Jared went with his scout group to help out at the milking cow booth for 2 1/2 hours at Swiss Days. I had an interpreting appointment and then went to the college to make sure everything was ready for the ASL movie tonight. I had reserved an auditorium for a new ASL movie that was being shown to the Deaf Community and ASL students through the Southern Utah Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. It is a unique experience watching a full-length movie with absolutely no sound -- only sign language and sub-titles. This movie was a comedy called "Versa Effect." All of the actors are deaf and they did a great job -- it was a cute show.
I watched another ASL movie several months ago which was supposed to be a scary movie but it is a lot harder to pull off a horror movie with no suspenseful music or sounds and still have it be scary. I can still remember those firesides when I was a kid on the power and influence of music where they took scary movie clips and took out the music and what was terrifying before was laughable after. So I think doing a comedy was a good choice. The movie had some really funny parts and I found myself laughing out loud during several parts. Meanwhile Janika had about fifteen teenagers over for a "pickle party." Everyone brought jars of pickles and they watched a really scary movie called, "Insidious." I am wondering how long this obsession with horror movies is going to last. I would prefer something a little more uplifting!
Friday, September 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment