Monday, September 12, 2011

PTA Swim Party and Diaper Dilemma

The PTA swim party at Sand Hollow was the same time as Janika's concert.  I opted to go to the concert and have Rick take all of the rest of the kids swimming!  Since we are a "one car" family right now, I dropped them off at Sand Hollow on our way to the High School and picked them up on our way home.  I packed a bag with supplies including Janika's camera and told Rick to take some pictures of the kids swimming.  The camera came back without a single picture.  A "picture happy" person like me just can't understand how someone can go someplace fun and watch their kids play for two whole hours without even thinking to take a picture.  But that is just me.  The kids all had fun and had lots to talk about on the way home.  Apparently Jenna loved the froggy slide and went on it again and again.

 I also learned that one kid had a potty accident and they had to clear the whole pool until it was cleaned up. And no, it wasn't my kid, thank goodness.  But it could very well have been since my little "almost potty trained" two year old had accidents all day long today.  I am FRUSTRATED!!!!  How can someone with a fierce independent streak like hers suddenly back track so badly?  I became upset with her and said if she was going to act like a baby then I would have to treat her like a baby and put her back in diapers.  Instead of getting upset over this, my extremely verbal child put this dopey look on her face, pointed to her pants and said in a baby voice, "Di-pah!"  What the heck??  She knows perfectly well how to talk and she knows perfectly well how to go to the bathroom in the right place.  She does it (usually) 95% of the time but today was just a losing battle.  I just can't figure out why she is doing this and it is driving me crazy.  With this being my last child, I am just so anxious to be done with diapers FOREVER!!  I am definitely not one of those people who want to hang on to those last shreds of babyhood before they are gone forever -- she is doing that all on her own!!  Advice, anyone?  

3 comments:

Christin said...

I learned a long time ago to let them do it on their terms. Lizzie was almost 3 before she decided it was time. Kate was 2. Once she decided to do it, she was trained in a week.

Em said...

That has been a struggle with Aly! I threatened the same thing and she gave me the same response and asked for a diaper...she was 5!! It's frustrating but just a waiting game. As for Rick not taking any pics, i understand that completely, very frustrating not to have a record of the event...but at least he was doing such a good job of watching the kids that nobody drowned!! lol!

Shawna said...

all my kids reverted back at different times and phases. I don't know if they just want attention, if they like getting reactions, or if they just enjoy being treated like a baby. I have found though that when they get opportunities to do things that only big kids who wear underwear and go in the potty can do that they try a little harder. For Alia it was saying things like only big kids can go to preschool or only big kids can go swimming, etc. And when given the option of being a baby or doing something that big kids get to do it suddenly becomes more appealing to be a big kid. So hopefully that gives you some ideas...very frustrating indeed!! hope you can finally rid yourself of diapers--how exciting!!