Well, I finally got around to setting up an annual check-up with my OB/GYN. I haven't been for almost three years (since Jenna was born) and I figured I was overdue for a check up. Boy, sitting in that office sure brought back a lot of pregnancy memories. I didn't mind going to the doctor when I was pregnant. Quite the opposite. I loved the anticipation of hearing my baby's heartbeat and measuring how much the baby had grown. It wasn't very exciting going in today for just an "annual," however. But at the same time I thought, "Boy, I am sure glad I am NOT pregnant!" I am done having children now and focusing on raising them. I left with some lab sheets ordering the regular screenings that doctors give to women who are my age. Just thinking about these tests makes me feel old. Oh and by the way -- I am sick. While I was at the doctor's office they took my temperature and said, "Did you know you have a fever?" Uh yeah, I knew that. Ya know that darn cold that has been going around our family? Well it has finally found me. Ugh.
After my appointment I tried to find something to feed the family with. We just haven't had the time or energy to go grocery shopping and so our kids have been living off top ramen. And me -- fruit shakes and gluten free oatmeal. After we ate our make-shift meal (can't remember what it was) I went to Jaiden and Janelle's SEP's. Janelle's teacher commented on how smart Janelle was. They have a reading test which measures how fast the kids' read and their comprehension and Janelle's score was twice as high as the third grade benchmark. Miss Paulson said that she noticed how Janelle always has her nose in a book as soon as her current school assignment is finished. She said that she was the exact same way as a kid. Janelle has just started reading the Harry Potter series and can't put it down. She wanted to come to the SEP tonight but kept interrupting it (while reading Harry Potter) to say things like, "Oh, this is my favorite spell... " and "I love this part!" I kept having to tell her to be quiet so we could finish our meeting.
Jaiden's scores were high too although I have a hard time getting her to sit still long enough to actually read a book. But luckily Janelle reads to her out loud every night (way too long -- she always gets in trouble when I find out she is still up) until she falls asleep. Today I felt lousy with the coming cold and so as soon as everyone was back home from their various activities I put myself to bed -- early!
Thursday I taught my class and then met some friends for a "Girl's Night Out." It was fun to visit and get to know each other better. Friday I cleaned and vacuumed the swimming pool. Rick keeps threatening to drain the pool and take it down because we don't have much time to swim once school starts. But I don't want to take the pool down when we are still dealing with triple digits outside! Several days ago I was complaining about how unbearably hot it was and decided to check the temperature at that moment and it was 112! I couldn't believe it. It just seems that with August coming to an end it should be cooling down, but not so far! So I cleaned the pool and then swam with Josh and Jenna. I especially wanted to wait to take it down because Jaiden's fingers are finally healed enough that she can swim and I wanted her to have the opportunity. Sure enough, she and her friends jumped in as soon as school was out. Janika babysat while I went with Rick to visit some branch members and then we went out to dinner with another couple from our branch.
Saturday Janika and Jase ended up with a last minute invitation to go boating with some friends. Rick and Jaiden went grocery shopping. I went to our neighbor's baby shower. Jaiden and Janelle and their friends, Emily and Bradley, all went swimming. I then spent a good 1 1/2 hours mopping our kitchen floor. I still have this cold and wish it would go away!
All of the kids are doing well in school and Josh seems to be enjoying kindergarten (and I am enjoying three hours a day without sibling arguments). However, Josh has started the annoying habit of biting the front of his shirt. I remember Jase doing the same thing when he was about his age. I hate it -- he is always walking around with the front of his shirt all wet and ruining all of his shirts. Why do kids do that? Jenna has been a fun little companion to have at home. Although she does shout out, "Mom!" every single minute which drives me bonkers. But I encourage her to help me with the chores and she likes that and beams when I tell her what a good helper she is. She hands me the dishes to unload the dishwasher and when I do the dishes I set her up at the little sink on the island with a scrub brush and some dishes and she "washes the dishes." She also helps sort the laundry and put the clothes in the washer and dryer. She is getting so big! I hesitate to say that she is completely potty trained yet because she still has an accident every once in awhile but she is SO close to being finished and goes completely on her own without me having to tell or remind her. Yeah! (When she goes an entire week with NO accidents then I will call it official!) She is at such a fun age (except for the constant messes of course). I just keep reminding myself to enjoy having the kids around because they grow up all too fast!
Saturday, September 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hope you are feeling better now. It sounds like you are all doing great, busy as usual. :-)
Post a Comment