Rick signed up to teach at EFY in Ogden on the 24th of July and offered to bring all of the kids with him to spend a couple of days with family so that I could get some time to myself. I was SO excited! Ever since we've had kids I don't think I've ever been home alone for two whole days! I've been on several 7-10 day trips with Rick away from the kids, but never where I had the house to myself. When Josh was a baby, Rick brought all of the other kids up North for a few days and Josh stayed home with me. But this is the first time being completely alone at home. I didn't really have any grand plans -- I just wanted to relish in the quiet and catch up on some computer and cleaning projects. Since I didn't have anyone to cook for I just made big salads for my lunch and dinners.
Monday my visiting teacher came over for a visit and then I worked for several hours on my college curriculum updating it for the upcoming year and then went to a meeting with the other college ASL teachers. I stopped at the library and got a bunch of books on CD to listen to while cleaning the house. I enjoy listening to books on CD while I work but when all of the kids are home it is way too noisy with too many distractions. It was weird to have the house so quiet. On Monday a few of the kids' friends called or came over, but as soon as I told them that the kids would be out of town for a couple of days the phone and doorbell stopped ringing. Well, I guess I can see who the popular ones around here are (and it is not me!)
Tuesday morning I had a visiting teaching appointment to see some sisters in our Deaf Branch. Sister Slobe picked me up and we headed to the two sisters' homes. After our appointments I worked on one of my blurb history books and cleaned out the laundry room. I heard the fireworks and watched a few of them from my daughter's bedroom window. But that wasn't too exciting without the kids and I was tired so I went to bed.
Wednesday I went running/walking and then did laundry, cleaning, and computer work. I caught up on a few blog entries but I am still far behind! My family returned around dinner time and I had dinner waiting for them (although they weren't too thrilled with having potatoes and squash for dinner but that is what we had available). I really enjoyed the quiet time but was also glad for my noisy brood to return home safely. I know that someday I will probably have far too much quiet, alone time and will wish for noise and company. But just a little of it now and again in this stage of life is welcome and heavenly!!
P.S. In Ogden, Gerilyn and Grandma Jensen took the kids to the Splash Pad while Janika stayed at Gerilyn's house to work and earn money towards a new comforter for her bed. Here are the splash pad pictures!
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment