Saturday, April 30, 2011

Silent Day

Today Rick and I went to the "Silent Day" that the High School ASL club hosted.  I didn't bring my camera but wished I had.  I asked a couple of people to e-mail me their pictures and if they do then I will post some.  The theme was a LUAU on a "silent island."  The silent day helps sign language students become immersed in the language.  All those in the Deaf Community were invited along with Sign Languages students, interpreters, and anyone else who wanted to be involved. The goal was to sign the entire day -- no talking!  They had different ASL workshops, games, skits, lunch, and activities.  It was probably a lot more difficult for the students who are still learning ASL to go the whole day without talking than it was for those of us who already know it. There were a lot of Deaf people who came and supported the activity and so that made it fun and worthwhile for the students to get to know our local deaf community better.  The activity was fun and Rick and I were able to get a good chunk of our continuing education credits by going as well!

A big thank you to Janika for watching the kids all day.  She did a great job.  She brought all of the kids to the park to play (walking, with the youngest two in the jogger stroller), got out the slip-n-slide in the yard for the kids to play in the water, fixed lunch, did the girls' hair, cleaned the kitchen and supervised the kids' chores.  Thanks Jani!  Then she hung out with friends the rest of the night!
 
 

 Here is a student with Angie Roos (the ASL teacher who put this all together) with Bret Hymas (one of the presenters). 

No comments: