Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jase's Paper Route

Jase has been doing a local paper route twice a month for the past eight months or so and recently accepted a larger route.  I don't see how he can even move, let alone roller-blade with all of those newspapers!  The first couple of times with the bigger route he left and came back over two hours later without incident.  But I worry about him going off alone on such a big route with no way to get a hold of him.  I asked him if he wanted to bring my cell phone just in case he needed to get a hold of me but he didn't want to carry one more thing.  Well, today he came back two hours later -- one foot in his roller blade and one foot with just a sock (with a huge hole).   Well apparently one of his roller blades totally busted halfway through the route and so he had to walk all the way home -- about a mile, with no shoes.  Poor kid!

I told him that I would drive him around later that night for the rest of his route.  But you can't really drive.  They want all of the newspapers delivered right to the front porch and most of the houses have long drawn out sidewalks leading up to their front porch and the papers are too light to go anywhere if you try to toss them.  So we parked and went on foot.  He took one side of the road and I took the other.  We then went to the other streets.  With the two of us it still took two hours of walking and I was exhausted!   Jase is very proud of his job and is learning the value of hard work!  He says he wishes he could get another job during the summer -- any ideas?

2 comments:

JenB said...

Wow, what a load! Newspapers are a big job. It is hard at his age to earn money. Sometimes boys have to put the info out there if they are willing and able to babysit, or maybe he could earn some money doing yardwork.

When he's a bit older, you could look into the local sports, they often need refs and are ok with younger kids (age 14 or so) for the preschool and kindergarten games. Also I've noticed where we take swimming lessons, there are several young assistants. I like to keep my eyes open for possibilities for my boys. Landon really enjoyed the reffing.

Jamie said...

Oh how that brings back memories of me and Jake with our paper route. Have fun Jase!!