Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Party and Trick-or-Treating

Rick and I are EFY counselors -- we have to use those shirts for something, right?  Janelle changed from Dalmatian to Nerd at the last minute after spilling her entire bowl of soup down her costume.  Jase put together a weak attempt as a Hobo.  Janika wore her Dorothy costume again, minus the red ruby slippers that were now too small.  Jaiden was a woodland fairy, Josh was a pirate, Jenna was a tiger, and Jared...who knows?   I pretty much leave the older kids on their own for costumes.  We have at least six huge tubs filled with costumes since the kids love to play dress up so much (I would say just the younger kids but Jani and her friends have been known to pull them out every once in awhile too).  But even with all of the available costumes, half the kids just throw some make-shift costume together with whatever they happen to find in their closet.

Janelle, Jaiden, and Josh went to a party at the girls' dance studio this afternoon.  Then we all went to the ward Halloween party and trunk-or-treat.  Then I took all of the kids trick-or-treating.  I was going to bring Jenna too but apparently she was satisfied with her stash of candy and she stayed home with Daddy.  Janika helped me bring the kids trick-or-treating and then went to a party with her friends.

I am glad Halloween is over.  We don't really get into the whole spooky, gory holiday like some do.  This morning we were watching home videos as the kids got ready for church.  It was Christmas time with the childrens' eyes lit up with excitement.  Lights twinkled and Christmas music filled the air.  As we watched the video Janelle sighed, "I just love Christmas!  It is just so -- Holy!  Everyone is happy and smiling and laughing and being nice to one another."  I found myself a little nostalgic watching the Christmas video as well.  I reminded her that we should be that way all year round but yes, Janelle, I love Christmas too.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute costumes! I think letting the kids come up with their own costumes is the best way to go!