
My baby is TWO years old today!! I gave her several cute little dresses for her birthday. The kids gave her...um.... random items from their toy box. Hey, it worked so well last year, we thought we would try it another year. I simply said, "go through your toys and choose something you can give to Jenna for her birthday!" They were SO excited and started choosing out gifts and putting them into gift bags.
All morning the kids kept asking, "When can Jenna open her presents?" Finally in between conference sessions we gave them the "go ahead." Josh gave her his toy alien, a penny, and a rubber band. Jaiden gave her some stuffed animals and a nightgown. Janelle gave her a bracelet and a popper.
Later on we had cake and ice-cream. The elders and our other kids ate most of her birthday cake while she was napping (see post below). But we saved her a piece and as soon as the candles were lit she immediately started blowing! She knows just what to do after watching all of the other birthdays in this house -- she even sang the birthday song!
Since it is her birthday I think it is a good time to write a little update about Jenna. Besides, I will need this for her history in a couple of months.
Jenna is such a delight! She talks really well and will repeat about anything you tell her. Only she doesn't say "Yes." Instead she says "Hi" with a little lilt at the end making it sound a bit like a question. Sometimes we will tell her to say "yes" and she will say with perfect clarity, "yes!" but then we ask her, "would you like some milk?" and she says, "hiye!" "Do you want your blankie?" "Hiye!" Do want to go outside? "Hiye!"
Jenna LOVES signing time. When we first introduced the "Signing Time" DVD's we referred to it as "baby" since the DVD's start out with a baby giggling. The name stuck and now several times a day Jenna will say, "I want baby!" which means she wants to watch "Signing Time." And I usually give in and then feel guilty about it since I know babies are not really supposed to watch TV. She can sing along with the songs and do all of the signs.
Jenna also loves to play "peek-a-boo" and "roll your hands." She loves to have stories read to her and will point out all of the things in the book by name. She loves to be tickled. If I tickle her back or arm or leg and then stop she will pick up my arm and put it back in the tickling position and say "tickle arm!"
We took the crib down a couple of months ago and put up her toddler bed. She usually sleeps in her toddler bed but will sometimes sneak into bed with her sisters who share her room. I now shut her door at night because when I left it open a few times I would wake up in the middle of the night to find her standing by my bed with her blankie attempting to climb in with me. I couldn't believe a one year old could navigate her way to me in the dark in the middle of the night!
She has a hard time going to bed at night and so I find myself giving her a bottle to help her fall asleep (another one of those guilty things because I know I need to ditch it completely -- especially now that she is two). Jenna loves to dance to music. She also LOVES to play with her big brothers and sisters. As soon as they are home from school she is with them -- playing with the toads, jumping on the tramp, dancing in the basement, playing hide-n-seek, and playing house. Jenna loves to be outside. Jenna also loves to play at friend's houses. I can't believe she is old enough to do that!
Jenna loves shoes. She will find Janika's high heels and put them on and walk around in them. She looks so adorable! Jenna also loves phones and will pick one up and start chattering away.
Jenna likes to be big. She can climb up a regular bar stool all by herself. We had to take down her little hook-on high chair months ago because she refused to sit on it. She likes to unload the dishwasher (even when the dishes are not clean). She likes to help put clothes in the dryer and absolutely beams at the praise I give her. She loves bracelets and necklaces and she loves to have her nails painted. She is ALL girl (except for the fact she likes to carry around the toads). Jenna also loves hats and is constantly walking around with a hat on her head.
Jenna like to look at the pictures of our family. She points to each one and says each name..."Daddy...Mommy...Jaka...Jase...Jawed...Nelle...Jaiden...Josh...Nenna!" (I especially love the "Nenna!")
We love our little baby girl. She gets in to everything and I have to change her clothes several times a day, but soon these hectic toddler years will all be a thing of the past. Until then we will hang on to that big smile -- with holes where teeth will soon be -- and keep on tickling her just to hear that sweet little giggle! Happy Birthday Jennalee, we love you!
3 comments:
wow i can't believe she's two!! she is getting so big and she is such a little cutie!
Wow! two already! I can't believe it. Seems like she was just an itty bitty. Yes, I do work for USDB. I have been on an emergency permit for the last couple months. I just do one period every other day so it's not much but it's fun.
You will be so glad that you took the time to type this post! And so will your kids!
Post a Comment